Release Swati, disassociate from Bajwa’s ‘fascist actions’: Imran

Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) chief Imran Khan said on Saturday that he had hoped the new military leadership, after the retirement of former army chief Gen Qamar Bajwa, would have “disassociated from the eight months of Bajwa’s fascist actions against [the] PTI, the media and critical journalists”.

In a series of tweets, the former premier claimed that the “entire nation was shocked at the vindictive cruelty” PTI Senator Azam Swati was being subjected to and questioned what his crimes were.

“For intemperate language and asking questions which is the right of anyone in a democracy?” Imran asked.

He further stated that internationally, Pakistan and its military were being perceived “increasingly negatively” because the incumbent federal government was “seen as a mere puppet government”.

Imran said that “74-year-old Senator Swati must be released immediately, not only because he committed no crime to deserve this mental and physical torture”, but because the “petulant and vengeful targeting” was undermining the military’s credibility.

Read Imran strikes conciliatory tone on talks

He maintained the military’s credibility was “critical for a strong Pakistan”.

Last week, Senator Azam Swati was taken into custody for the second time after a raid at his farmhouse in Chak Shahzad by the Federal Investigation Agency’s (FIA) Cyber Crime Wing Islamabad for allegedly tweeting against senior military officials.

He was later produced before a judicial magistrate, who handed him over to the FIA on a two-day physical remand.

Moreover, the Pakistan Electronic Media Regulatory Authority (Pemra) prohibited the broadcast and rebroadcast of Swati’s speeches, news conferences and his media coverage, including as a guest at a talk show, statements or tickers, on all satellite TV channels with immediate effect.

Taken to Kuchlak Jail

A day earlier, Swati was allegedly transferred to Kuchlak Jail on Friday morning by the Balochistan police.

The Senator’s daughter Farah Swati said he suffered “chest pains” and “breathing issues” on Thursday night and was shifted to the Pakistan Institute of Medical Sciences (PIMS) early this morning, in Islamabad.

However, she added that he was later discharged “before his lab results came back” and was taken into custody by Quetta police.

She also revealed that the family had been informed that Swati had been taken to Quetta as she pleaded with the nation for its support and “raise a voice” for her father.

Source link

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.

9 2 3 0 0 8 0 0 1 9 1 4